Friday, December 31, 2010

1st Tabata Cycle

I want to take care of my cardiovascular health a lot better this year, for me, my wife and the kids. Being muscularly strong has some limited use in our society but having a good strong and efficient set of heart and lungs is always of use. To being able to tote the little ones around for hours or being here hopefully in another 40 to 50 years.

I'm going to start with some Tabata cycles but I'll also throw in more kettlebell complexes, walking, swimming, biking, cross country skiing, etc. and cleaning up my diet to hit this goal.

Today I did a standard cycle (20 seconds work, 10 seconds active rest for 8 cycles/4 minutes) with jumping jacks. Next time I want to measure my heart rate immediately after and then at either 1 or 2 minute intervals until I've come down to a normal or near normal heart rate.

Hopefully I'll also get in another pinch workout this afternoon and I may walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes or so.

2 comments:

  1. You gotta love tabata mate! Good luck with the cardio this year Jason, I'm on a similar path myself. Time to start feeling good more often, eat less shit and lift heavy stuff again. All the best mate

    Cheers Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob and all the best bud in the new year!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete