Friday, January 20, 2012

Pressing and Vbar Weirdness


January 20, 2012 - Before Supper

1) Seated BTN Press - Med Day
45 x 10
105 x 5
155 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

2a) Bench Press - Narrow Grip
155 x 5
235 x 3, 3
275 x 1
285 x 1
290 x 1
295 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
205 x 12

2b) 2" V-Bar
125 x 5/5
150 x 3/3, 3/3
180 x 1/F, 1/1, 1/1
175 x -/1

Well I'm really happy to keep progressing this smoothly with all of my lifts, especially the triple progression on the bench. A little bit of my past; I used to hate the bench and squat. My staples were deadlifts, weighted dips, pull-ups and incline db presses. There's be a few other things threw in there but those were my faves. It's only been the last couple of years that I've decided to put some focus on to those lifts when I resumed lifting again. More and more things keep clicking every time I do it now, little subtleties.

Tonight's big one was to let the barbell track back up towards my head as I press up. Not all the way mind you but a bit. Waay stronger. I'm not sure where I got it in the past (probably Ripp) to keep the bar straight up and down but that's what I was doing. Doing partials with heavy weight really showed me how the bar wants to move. When it's on the pins it won't go anywhere if you're trying to line it to go straight up. Giver hell and let it go and it tracks back, the strongest path.

Now for tonight's bit of weirdness. I started doing my 2" vbar training tonight for the first time in ages. I had intention of hitting 5-10 singles the same as my benching. My left hand on it's last pull I heard a loud pop type noise which I'm not sure if it was my hand or the weight's dropping. It felt just like electricity had shot through my hand and up my arm. Scared the hell out of me. My are went numb for about a minute and I just kept articulating my hand, wrist and elbow hoping I didn't frig up a tendon or ligament. Luckily the sensation came back. I wasn't sure If I was going to continue to bench or not but I gave it a go and it was okay but I left that vbar alone for the rest of the workout. As soon as I came upstairs I popped some ibu just in case I've got some niggles awaiting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment